Gold , this eternal yellow metal has fascinated us over the ages. From the time of ancient civilizations to the present, it has held a power over us that has always drawn us towards it. Gold jewelry is and has always been one of the key status symbols of man, irrespective of his color, creed, religion, and nationality.
The current upsurge in gold prices has not diminished its appeal . In fact, in today’s uncertain economic times gold has become one of the very few options which is giving a positive return on investment.
So how do we decide what type of gold jewelry to buy today, keeping in mind its high price? The key is to understand what karat (purity) of gold to buy. Pure gold (24k) is too soft to be used for making jewelry, it has to be mixed with alloys to harden it and make it durable enough to be crafted into a fine piece of gold jewelry.
The lower the karat of gold i.e. 22k, 18k, 14k, 9k, the lower the price of gold. Which means your budget will dictate which karat you are going to buy. The price will also depend on the branding of the design of the gold jewelry and the location of the store.
From the point of view of durability and value, I recommend buying 18k jewelry whenever possible, especially if it is studded with gemstones. It is more durable and longer-lasting than 14k and 9k gold jewelry.
The following tips should help you get the most value for your money when you decide to buy a piece of gold jewelry.
• Review the online jewelry stores for the range of gold jewelry along with the pricing and compare them to your local jewelry stores.
• Whenever possible ask for the per gram price of the gold and compare with the current market price of gold to make sure you are not being overcharged .
• Make sure that jewelry is hallmarked with the correct karat of purity.
• The gold jewelry should have a certificate of authenticity specifying the karat and the total weight of the gold
• Check with the jeweler if the jewelry is rhodium plated or not, yellow gold can be rhodium plated to change its color to white and vice versa. This does not last very long and wears of with regular use.
So next time you buy gold jewelry keep the above tips in mind to make your decision